In December 2017, Snapchat released Lens Studio. This free software application for Macs and PCs allows anybody with a computer to create their own AR lenses on Snapchat and share them with the world.
This is similar to the ability to create custom geofilters for Snapchat, but there’s a big difference. AR lenses are not limited by geographical location, meaning your AR creations can be shared by anyone, no matter where in the world they are.
Snapchat has stated:
“With the launch of Lens Studio, we’re excited to make Lenses more accessible to creators, and experiences within Snapchat more personal and diverse. We’ve seen how much more fun Geofilters have become since first inviting the community to create their own three years ago — and can’t wait to see what you build with Lens Studio!”
Now that anybody can build an AR experience on Snapchat, people all over the internet have been hard at work making some pretty interesting stuff. Some lenses are funny. Some are strange. But all of them are pretty creative.
Here are 33 of the most creative community AR Snapchat lenses I could find. Make sure you have the Snapchat camera open and start exploring.
Note: Some of these lenses contain loud noises, so be wary of your volume 🙂
- The Flash
- Break-dancing Squidward
- Dancing Deadpool
- Barry B. Benson (This one was inevitable)
- Mike Wazowski
- A nice shiny Bitcoin (Sorry, it’s not real)
- Dancing Kermit the Frog
- “It’s time to stop” — Filthy Frank
- Bold and Brash — Spongebob Squarepants
- Break-dancing Homer Simpson
- Doggy Dance Party
- Dancing Waluigi
- Young Link — The Legend of Zelda
- “Hey Vsause, Michael here” — Vsause
- Dancing Mr. Krabs
- Another Dancing Squidward (this time it’s the Macarena)
- “Oh hi Mark” — The Room
- Capsule Corp — Dragon Ball
- A cool, but creepy Donkey Kong Circle
- Dancing Hatsune Miku
- Skull Kid — The Legend of Zelda
- Dancing Grampa Simpson
- Confused John Travolta — Pulp Fiction
- A simple, yet elegant Sunflower
- Lemongrab — Adventure Time
- Dancing Princess Peach
- Twerking Batman (Careful with this one)
- Tingle — The Legend of Zelda
- Yet another dancing Squidward
- Seinfeld Theme
- Dancing Winnie the Pooh
- KK Slider — Animal Crossing
- VHS Tape
These are just a few of the many community lenses out there, and many new ones are being made every day. If you want to be up to date on the newest editions, be sure to follow this subreddit.
While many of these lenses may seem silly, they are a shining example of how readily available AR technology is becoming to the pubic. You no longer need an expensive system or be an AR expert to create something amazing. Just a computer and your imagination.
If these lenses didn’t scare you away and you’re feeling inspired, you can download Lens Studio and start making your own AR lenses!
You can also check out the Lens Studio YouTube channel for tutorials and updates. Let your creative freedom run wild, just keep the twerking characters to a minimum. And no more Squidwards please.
You most likely have some other AR ideas that can change the world! Share them with us on social media!
Top 51+ Virtual Reality (VR) Websites & Blogs of 2018